Monday, February 7, 2011

Broooooooooooooooce!

Bias alert: I am a Bruce Gordon fanboy. It started way back in 1995 when I was getting ready to do some self-supported touring. I had a perfectly serviceable Cannondale, but THE touring bike to own was one of Bruce's. Didn't help when I crossed paths with a kitted-out Rock 'n' Road Tour while on an organized ride. But as a poor college student, I put my lustful thoughts aside and tried to move on.

Years later, I was lucky enough to stumble into a used BG frameset in my size via the vast world of the Internets. I've since ridden that sucker over hill, dale, and whatnot, changed its configuration about a dozen times, scraped off a large percentage of original paint, had a fresh coat applied, and just generally loved the dickens out of it. So I was crazy-happy to see that Bruce and crew have posted a video history of the Rock 'n' Road family on their blog. With apologies to the Vimeo-haters out there (you know who you are), here it is:


A Brief History of the Rock 'n Road from Bruce Gordon Cycles on Vimeo.

Even as a Bruce fanboy, I learnt something from this video. F'rinstance, I had no idea why mine was just a Rock 'n' Road (like the white one in the video) when all the others I'd seen were Rock 'n' Road Tours. Now I know! And how cool is it to see Rock 'n' Road #1, in lugs, with Bruce's signature (gorgeous) seat cluster treatment? And a titanium, Rock Shox-equipped R'n'R with custom-machined fork crown and brace? Wicked!

I think I'm going to watch that again.

1 comment:

Scott Loveless said...

I foresee a shortage of Hakkapeliitta tires that still have their studs.