Friday, December 23, 2011

The Un-Bustable Bottle

If I plug Kleen Kanteens one more time, I'll probably get called out as a shill. Honestly, I buy these things with my own money, and I get no kickbacks from the Great Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cabal. I just find this product dang impressive.

To whit: This is an almost six-year-old Kleen Kanteen that goes back and forth to work with me each day. It's been through the dishwasher more times than I can count. I've dropped it off the bike several times. And just last week, it got away from me on a flight of concrete stairs, bounced/rolled its way down about a dozen steps, and came away with just these cute little dimples (and nary a leak) to show for it:
Crazy. I would photograph one of my six-year-old plastic water bottles for comparison, but those generally last a year before I have to condemn them to the recycling bin. 

Here's the cap of that same bottle. I can't say precisely how old it is since I swap the caps around my collection, but based on the fact that it's the older pre-carabiner-loop style, I'm going to say it has to be at least four years old.
There's a little scuffing on the lip (probably from that encounter with the concrete stairs), but other than that cosmetic damage, it works like new. No leaks, no cracking, no nothing.

Kleen Kanteens aren't perfect (they rattle in a bottle cage, the unsqueeze-ability can make drinking more of a challenge, and the pressure release valve sounds like an amorous porpoise), but as water bottles go, the value proposition can't be beat. If you're frantically searching for a last-minute Festivus gift for that bike geek on your list, you could do a lot worse.

4 comments:

Scott Loveless said...

Order some of those toe clip leathers from VO, or hack your own, and sew them onto your cages. No more battle rattle.

bikelovejones said...

Another reason to love Klean Kanteens: when the bottom rounds out from too many bumps and no longer stand upright without wobbling, you can always pound the bottom flat again with a brick. I've done this to two bottles and they're fine.

Joe said...

Love mine too. The newer sport cap with the built in loop cap has a better valve and is easier to drink from. I have boiled water in mine on the camp fire a few times too.

I don't mind the battle rattle in metal cages. Most of my cages are plastic. The Profile cages hold these bottles great and I have 3 of the Klean Kanteen Cages too.

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

BLJ... strange coincidence, but the bottle pictured came from a place you know well: Citybikes. So it's traveled cross-country by plane in addition to its many bike miles.

Chag sameach to you, by the way. May your one ride's worth of chain lube last you eight crazy rides this holiday season. :-)