Saturday, March 8, 2014

Opportunity: Missed

Yet another entry in the "bikes that got away" catalog.

The bike from Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure -- perhaps one of the greatest cycling movies of all time -- was auctioned on eBay this week. And while I had $37,000 just burning a hole in my pocket (what can I say? this amateur blogging thing is a lucrative business), I didn't put in a bid.

Maybe it's the fact that the seller described it as "in pieces" -- though I'm sure Dotty at Chuck's Bikes could take care of that. Or maybe I feared the condition it might be in after all those years stored in the basement of the Alamo. Or maybe I'm just disillusioned. After all, I always believed that bike was NOT for sale, Francis.

My secret hope is that as the new owner was just about to take possession, Paul Reubens showed up disguised as a nun, grabbed the bike, and took off on a madcap chase through a Godzilla movie set and a Twisted Sister music video. But maybe that's just me.

Silly? I know you are. But what am I?

No comments: