Thursday, June 25, 2015

Allez, Steve F!

Time to check in on one of our favorite Steves here at The Cycle, Steve F, a.k.a. "Local Steve", a.k.a. "Former Neighbor Steve", a.k.a. "Proprietor of Zen Biking", a.k.a. "This Guy":


(The homely, bald one on the right.)

If you've been following Zen Biking during the inexcusable hiatus of this particular blog, you know that this is the year he's going big(ger) and riding the Tour Divide: a nutty, damn-near-2500-mile off-road race from Canada to Mexico along the Great Divide.

I am totally sucked in to this event, checking in on Steve's Spot tracker several times per day. By the time you read this, he'll probably be in Colorado with over 1600 miles behind him, covering over 120 miles per day. The dude has done more off-road miles during this event than I've done miles for the entire year. Mind: Blown.

It just takes a brief peek around the social mediums to see that a big chunk of the Iowa biking community has adopted Steve as our hometown hero. Local shop Beaverdale Bicycles and bikeiowa.com even teamed up to offer a Steve Fuller Posse t-shirt (proceeds benefiting trails in Central Iowa) -- yeah, I ordered one. And no sprinkling of link juice would be complete without a shout to Steve's shop sponsor, Rasmussen's. (For the record, nobody gave me squat for all this wanton linking -- I'm just a Steve supporter, and a supporter of those who support him, and a supporter of supporters of biking in Iowa in general.)

So if you're burned out on professional racing (and you'd better believe I am), I encourage you to click in to the Tour Divide coverage. As far as I'm concerned, these are the real racers.

UPDATE: So, yeah, he did it. 24 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes (because even after 24 days, I guess the minutes still count), 2,745 miles, and a lot of pie. Words fail me. Steve, my man, you are harder than woodpecker lips, and I'm proud to call myself a member of your posse:

3 comments:

Pondero said...

You said it. Real racers. Absolutely.

Lay into it, Steve!

Steve Fuller said...

Thanks for the plug Jason. Needless to say, I finished. 24 days, 17 hours and 2 minutes. I feel pretty good overall, but I'm sleeping a lot right now. :)

Jihad said...

I really appreciate you admin. Good sense of humor. Liked it keep up the good work.