I had two brand-spankin'-new, utterly useless degrees in hand and a wife ready to quit her miserable job. I could have taken those hunks of embossed toilet paper ANYWHERE in the world and received the same pittance of a salary.
I chose Des Moines, IA. The same freaking climate as:
- Sterling, IL, where I grew up
- Iowa City, IA, where I got Useless Degree #1
- Columbus, OH, where I got Useless Degree #2
Why, oh why?!?!
I have no idea. But I'm taking suggestions for where I might take those useless degrees next. Requirements include:
- Reasonable geographic proximity to Illinois, home of Wilson, the World's Coolest Nephew, the rest of my clan, and my wife's immediate clan
- A milder climate than here -- I don't expect the 70s year-round, but this blanket of frigid whiteness for several months at a stretch is unacceptable
- Something urban, no smaller than the bustling metropolis that is Des Moines
- Good roads with quasi-friendly drivers
- A bike culture with more diversity than, "Hey, let's suit up in our matching too-tight RAGBRAI jerseys and ride our matching Trek bikes (from the three identical mainstream bike shops) to the bar in the next town, get drunk, and ride back!"
- Some kind of job opportunity for me and my better half
- A decent-sized Jewish community (i.e., more than one token synagogue)
So, what say you, devoted readership of three people? Where's the next move?