Monday, May 11, 2009

This Little Piggy

I broke a toe this weekend, thanks to a combination of a) excessive clumsiness, b) an ill-placed box in a dark bedroom, and c) a late night trip to the bathroom. Kicked that sucker like it was a 60-yard field goal attempt to win the game as time expired. Ugh.

It's not a terribly crucial toe, mind you. Just a pinky toe. The one that (according to legend) cries "wee wee wee" all the way home. So it's now taped to the piggy that had no roast beef in a kind of toe "buddy system" while it heals up.


On the bright side: I can still ride the bike. Chalk it up as another benefit of flat BMX pedals and non-bike-specific riding shoes. I just grabbed my Teva sandals, loosened one strap to take pressure off the sore spot, and pedaled off with all piggies (injured and otherwise) free in the breeze.


Thank goodness it's Spring. I may be a touring nerd, but even I have trouble crossing that line to sandals with socks. It's a slippery slope to wearing your glasses-mounted rearview mirror into the coffeehouse.

5 comments:

Frostbike said...

If you wear black socks with black sandals, you only look like a dork from close up. From a distance it just looks like you're wearing shoes.

Steve Fuller said...

I agree. Black socks w black sandals. The socks must be wool cycling socks and not nerdy dress socks. That would just be wrong.

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

I've got it! I'll wear my "Bike Nerd" tall wool socks from Twin Six.

Yes, I have a pair. Saw them at a shop in Minneapolis, and my wife insisted that I needed to own them.

Not sure if I should feel insulted or honored. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dang Nunemaker, is there some rule that says you have to break an appendage every other year?? Well, if you do, this is probably the one to break.

I'll second/third/fourth the idea for the dark wool socks. I already wear the dark Smartwool ankle socks for commuting, and have been known to wear them with the Shimano sandals when commuting to work (no one at work really wants to see my tootsies). Biking to work already puts me so far into the realm of Giant Dork that the socks only move me a couple of points further towards Absolute Dork status.
(and is that redundant if you are an engineer?)

Steve K. in P., IL

Steve Fuller said...

Those socks would be perfect :)