Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Origami, Part 1: The Unveiling


At long last, it's new bike time.

Irregular readers may recall that way back in the winter of aught-nine, I had a minor pining episode over the Xootr Swift folding bike. Well, after much hem-and-haw, I have finally scratched that itch.

Before I actually start showing stuff and quasi-reviewing the bike, I should give the obligatory blogger disclaimer: Xootr paid me absolutely NOTHING to write this stuff. In fact, they have no idea (yet) that I'm writing it. As far as they're concerned, I'm just a dude in Iowa with a credit card who wanted a bike. I know, very Consumer Reports, right? I may solicit them once the review is underway, but as of this date, there's been no contact between The Cycle World Headquarters and Xootr Central beyond that of a regular old customer off the virtual street.

With that out of the way, let us begin... with a tiny box:
(helmet included for scale... and yes, I'm a fathead, but my head is not THAT fat) 

The UPS guy was kind of flummoxed by this. "That's a bike?" All I could think to say was, "I hope so!" By the way, my invoice shows that my order hit Xootr on 5/6, and this cute little box (which I'm saving for future shipping/travel) was in my garage six days later. Not bad a'tall.
And while we're at it, how about a quasi-Freudian "check out the size of my seatpost!" shot?

 (overcompensate much?) 

Here's the spy shot with our test subject still clad in its disguise so the bike-paparazzi can't get a look at what's under the hood:

Okay, kids, that's enough for today. Time for bed. Watch for future installments covering assembly, fit, and first impressions.

4 comments:

Chad said...

Sweet bike.
Do you know of a source for super long seatposts (in a 27.2)? My wife and I (9" height difference) share a cargo bike, and current post doesn't reach my comfy spot.

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

Chad -- would a 400 or 410mm post do the trick?

Pretty much any shop with a Quality Bicycle Parts catalog ought to be able to get those in 27.2. Here are the options in 400 and 410 at Harris Cyclery, just to pick one shop I like.

Hope this helps!

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

Drat, link failure.

Try this instead: 410mm posts from the Harris QBP catalog

Chad said...

Thanks for the links. Do you know how they measure the posts? Is it bottom of post to center of rail clamp?