Saturday, December 22, 2007

Nature vs. Garage: A Draw


The 90-year-old trees around our 90-year-old house struck back during last week's nasty ice storms. Des Moines didn't get anything near the pummeling that the southern Iowa suffered, but our garage (which I've lovingly nicknamed the Velo-Palace) took a direct hit. How this behemoth threaded its way between the power line, the cable line, and the phone line without hitting any of them, I do not know... but I'm thanking my lucky stars that it did. Carla tells me that it made quite a racket when it hit, as you might well expect.
Inside the Velo-Palace, there's only a head-sized divot that leaks a little snowmelt on the car whenever the temps creep over freezing -- you can barely even make it out in the photo. Not bad, considering.

1 comment:

Todd Van Campen said...

Whew! For a minute there I was concerned that some bikes might have been injured!