Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bueller? Bueller?

I'm still out here -- just on a little funk-induced sabbatical.

Winter in Des Moines has dragged on longer (and snowier) than it has since Carla and I moved to town eight years ago. And while I'm technically on my bike, it's hard to call a four-mile daily round trip slog (on two-ton tires, with a rust-frozen chain and shriekingly maladjusted brake) actual "riding." It certainly doesn't have the mental health benefits of real riding.


Not even the much-ballyhooed "college basketball story of the year" happening a few short blocks away at Drake University (go Bulldogs!) and my ensuing hanger-on fandom has pepped me up.


But there's hope. Daylight Savings Time, for one. I only need lights for my morning commute now, and I can already tell that I won't need them much longer. And -- miracle of miracles -- temps cracked the 50s today, turning most of our snow into drivetrain-destroying sand-water-salt-grime paste.

Couple more days of this should perk me right back up.

1 comment:

Scott Clark said...

Spring's coming...hang in there.

For a minute there, I thought your sabbatical was induced by George Clinton.

Who, by the way, should become president solely based on his name.