Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Meet My Midlife Crisis

For some guys, it's a car. Not me.

For others, it's a woman. Definitely not -- got a darn fine one of those already.

You might think I'm getting ready to describe a bike, right?

Wrong.

My midlife crisis is this job at the Des Moines Bicycle Collective. Even though I really like my current job.

Please, could some incredibly qualified, passionate bike person step up and fill this thing ASAP? I fear that if it stays open too long, I'll start getting stupid ideas like, "Well, my 401k is in the can anyway, and health insurance is overrated, and besides, I'm sure the bank would be more than happy to let a couple mortgage payments slide from time to time..."

Sigh.

2 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

Just have the collective open after work and on weekends. Your beautiful wife surely knows what you look like. She doesn't need you around all the time ;)

Anonymous said...

Isn't there some rule of thumb that says that the best way to screw up a hobby is to make it your job? Of course, running a shop is different from actually working on bikes. Much more of a middle management job, and not that much concerned with bikes.

Maybe you just need a job at a shop where you can work on Saturdays? Or is this really just about getting away from the current job??

Steve K.
Peoria,IL
(about to start new job duties at work, and hopefully doing more tech work and less managing)