Thursday, December 27, 2012

Huh? What? Did Somebody Say Challenge?

Fearless Leader Tarik, grand pooh-bah of the Tarik Saleh Bike Club, and miner of blog gold over at Moscaline, has announced his Tarik Saleh Bike Club 100 Challenge... and, as early-joiner (perhaps a charter member?) of TSBC, I have dutifully made myself aware that a challenge is taking place.

In case you're too lazy to follow that link and read the challenge rules, here they be, quoth Tarik: 
  1. Just ride your bike 100 miles from 12/24-12/31/12 and you have achieved the challenge.
  2. Or just ride your bike every day from 12/24-12/31 and you also have achieved the challenge.
  3. Or just try to ride your bike just a bit more than you might have otherwise and you have achieved it. 
Progress to date: I was working for The Man on 12/24, and thus did a very cold 2-mile round trip commute on studded tires. 12/25 is a holy day of Chinese food and cinema for my people, so I was forbidden by rabbinical edict to do more than hamster-spin in the garage (total distance traveled: 0 miles, natch). 12/26: Another cold 2 miles. 12/27: Another cold 2 miles. I will predict yet another cold 2 miles for 12/28. On 12/29, I'll be visiting a very sick girl in the hospital for zero miles (though I assume it qualifies for the club rule of trying not to be an ass). 

So, that's going to leave me 12/30 and 12/31 to either a) ride 92 miles, or b) ride more than I might have otherwise. I don't see the first happening, so we'll have to see on the second.

(This just in: You're saying, "But Jason, you dolt, it's already 12/27... how can I be expected to complete a challenge that started on 12/24?" Great Leader has amended the original challenge to allow for pro-rated/post-dated challenging.)