Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sensibility In The Iowa Senate?

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes.

The distinguished chuckleheads in the Iowa House decided that only adolescents kill people when they drive distracted, so they passed a no-texting-while-driving law that only applies to teens. Yeah, because that makes sense... why shouldn't an adult be allowed to thumb-type and knee-drive while sipping from a scalding venti no-whip mocha pinched between his elbows?

Thankfully, the Iowa Senate slapped that silliness down. 

Of course, this probably means that they'll butt heads until the end of the session, let the bill die, and it will be another year of dodging twits-on-Twitter before the thing comes up again.

Sigh...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Am I a bad person if I text at red lights and stop signs, when my car is not moving? I know this is bad, and please don't tell my mother.

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

As the voice of all that's good and decent (he said, with much sarcasm), I'll allow it. The only time I was ever injured by a car standing still was when I wasn't paying attention ("distracted driving", I suppose) and ran into the back of it.

Plus, when the light turns green and you're still texting, I can sneak past while you block the traffic -- so thanks! :-)